The Serenity operation base allows for many scientific projects to flourish. Some of them are still being discussed, but there are a few directions of what we want to achieve:
– Better understand the sharks populations. This is done using several projects, such as but not limited to the maintenance of databases, tagging studies, behavior studies, genetic studies and more.
– Better understand the sharks movements – at short and large scales, using ID and tagging – with a potential extension to the whole Indian Ocean.
– Better understand the ecology and movement/activity patterns of some shark species by mixing data from daily visual observation and tagging.
– Monitor the ecosystem evolution over time with the presence of the operation – and ultimately make it an example to help with other ecosystem boosting projects around the world.
– Allow the ecosystem and biodiversity to flourish by daily impact and arrangement.
– Raise Awareness and speak with local actors as well a tourists to spread the right information and help shaping a better world.
– Be a support for any actor that need our skills and expertise.
– Be an incubator for the many science projects to come, from empirical research to conservation.